Featured Book

LaTeX Beginners Guide

Who is online

In total there are 24 users online :: 0 registered, 1 hidden and 23 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 1327 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:11 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests

Partner Sites

TeXwelt - Fragen und Antworten goLaTeX
TeXblog
TeXnicCenter
TeXample

Installation Issue for Document Class

Add tags LaTeX specific issues not fitting into one of the other forums of this category.

Installation Issue for Document Class

Postby john84141 on Fri May 11th, 2012

hello,

I have Ubuntu 12.04 and I'm trying to install a IEEE template to create a .tex document. I have tried both methods of the following tutorial, but none worked:
https://softwareexperiments.wordpress.c ... in-ubuntu/
When I try to compile it, it outputs errors like these:
Code: Select all  •  Open in writeLaTeX
! I can't find file `nullfont'. <*> ...ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input nullfont Please type another input file name ! Emergency stop. <*> ...ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input nullfont Transcript written on mfput.log.

! I can't find file `pplr7t'. <*> ...:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input pplr7t Please type another input file name ! Emergency stop. <*> ...:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input pplr7t Transcript written on mfput.log. grep: pplr7t.log: No such file or directory

I don't understand what's wrong, I was able to make it work on a 10.04 seamlessly.
john84141

Re: Installation Issue for Document Class

Postby Stefan_K on Fri May 11th, 2012

Hi John,

welcome to the board!

The second message probably means that the Palatino font is missing on your system.

Perhaps post the complete .log file as attachment. For this, click on "Upload attachment" below the edit text field when writing a post.

Stefan
LaTeX Community Administrator
Stefan_K
Site Admin

Postby john84141 on Fri May 11th, 2012

hello,
thanks for the prompt answer.
Yes it might be that, I just installed this new system, and I didn't install any fonts yet, so if there are patent issues, maybe some of them aren't given by default.
I tried installing the package 'mss-corefonts-installer' but the same errors are displayed. What should I do to install the missing fonts ?
john84141

Postby Stefan_K on Fri May 11th, 2012

I would install the newest TeX Live over the internet, not the Ubuntu version from 2009. Perhaps this solves the issue. Furthermore, there's a script called getnonfreefonts which you could use.

Regarding \nullfont, from the TeXbook:

The primitive control sequence \nullfont stands for a font that
has no characters. This font is always present, in case you haven't
specified any others.

Please show a small minimal working example, which produces this error, so we see which packages and which settings are involved. Furthermore, please post your .log file.

Stefan
LaTeX Community Administrator
Stefan_K
Site Admin

Postby dafrick on Wed Jun 13th, 2012

I had the same problem, also using Ubuntu 12.04. I solved it (as suggested here http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/ ... tion-issue ) by installing the package 'texlive-fonts-recommended'.
Hope this helps.
dafrick

Return to General